The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27
* ANNOUNCEMENT *
The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27 has earned the designation:
"Cornerstone Lodge 2016 - 2018"
"The lodge deserves to be extremely proud of the level of proficiency that it has achieved and you are to be commended for your dedication and determination in meeting the Cornerstone challenge." - Brother 2 Brother Team
Meets Third Friday of Each Month, 7:30 p.m.
(except July and August)
The dispensation for The Lodge of Strict Observance was issued on August 1, 1847, by Sir Allan Napier MacNab, Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Upper Canada. The first meeting of the Lodge took place on September 21, 1847, in The Barton Lodge room, at the south-west corner of Main and Hughson Streets, Hamilton. At the meeting, W.Bro. C.H. Webster, a Past Master of The Barton Lodge #6, presided over the Installation of the first officers. Nine of the brethren who formed our new Lodge were members of The Barton Lodge. The first Master was the Rev. Alexander Mackid, who was sent out from Ireland by the Canada Land Company. He was inducted in St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in January 1845. He affiliated with The Barton Lodge on April 8,1846 and also was Grand Chaplain of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Upper Canada.
The Lodge of Strict Observance minutes note that on March 18th, 1851 a new hall was proposed on the north-east corner of John and Main streets. On September 16th, 1851 the Lodge held its first meeting in the new stone building; this was the place of organization of the Grand Lodge of Canada in 1855 and of the installation of its first Grand master, William Mercer Wilson.
When St. John's Lodge #40 was formed in 1852, their first Master, W. Bro. Thomas B. Harris, was a member of "Strict". W.Bro. J.M. Gibson (later, M.W. Bro. Sir John Morrison Gibson), after completing his term as Master of "Strict" in 1872, was instrumental in the formation of Temple Lodge #324, (coinciding with the new Masonic Hall in the City), and served as Temple Lodge's first Master in 1874, 1875 and 1876.
The Lodge of Strict Observance has enjoyed the happy exchange of fraternal visits with many Lodges during its 157+ years. Particularly noteworthy are the ties with General Mercer Lodge #548 of Toronto; and the annual visits with St. John's Lodge #209a of London which started on March 15th of 1887 when they exemplified an Irish third degree. Several times over the years, our London brethren have inspired large numbers of visitors with their impressive portrayals of the Craft degrees in the Irish Ritual.
We value the friendship of all our Masonic brethren and will continue to enjoy visiting and visitations by other lodges through out the district and beyond.
The Lodge of Strict Observance Lodge No. 27
First Meeting in New Quarters at the Masonic Centre
September 22, 2017
The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27 celebrated their first meeting at their new location in the Masonic Centre and it was a complete success.
R.W. Bro. Glenn T. Jarvie, District Deputy Grand Master of District B, and fresh from a hip replacement, accompanied Strict on his very first Fraternal visit as well. The evening included a number of presentations, both in spiritual messages, a brief history as to how we got there from a burning fire on James St. S. Hamilton, investiture of our Organist, R.W. Bro. Ken Adamson, P.D.D.G.M., as well as a presentation to Bro. Jim Cakebread for 50 years as a Mason. Bro. Jim was also honoured as Organist Emeritus for 33 years as organist in Strict.
R.W. Bro. Glenn T. Jarvie, District Deputy Grand Master of District B and W. Bro. Tariq Qurashi,
Worshipful Master of The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27
W. Bro. Tariq Qurashi, Worshipful Master of The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27
R.W. Bro. Ken Adamson, P.D.D.G.M., Organist, and R.W. Bro. Glenn T. Jarvie, District Deputy Grand Master
Officers of The Lodge of Strict Observance No. 27
The Masonic Centre
Send requests for items to post, questions or comments about this website to webmaster.